What Is A Habitat Home?
A Habitat home is a simple, decent place to live. Habitat homes are three to five bedroom homes, depending on family size. Homes are built in partnership with the family, our community, and Habitat. New homes come with brick fronts and one car garages. Habitat homes are sold to qualifying families on a 20 to 30-year, no interest mortgage with payments of approximately $350-$400 a month. Generally, it takes from 9-18 months from the time family is approved to the time they can move into their home.
What Criteria Does Habitat Look For In A Housing Applicant
- You must demonstrate a need for adequate housing. A committee member will come to your present home to determine if you have a need for housing.
Since you will be purchasing your home from Habitat, you must demonstrate an ability to pay for the home:
- You must have a consistent, verifiable income which can include wages from job, SSI
- Social Security, child support, public assistance or alimony
You must demonstrate that you are willing to partner with Habitat by:
- Agreeing to complete “sweat equity” hours.
- Participate in homeowner classes and various workshops.
- Pay closing costs before closing on your home.
- Be able to show that you have a stable payment history and responsibility to make mortgage payments
- Be able to pay on existing debts, a mortgage, and maintain a standard of living.
How To Apply
Thank you to all who came out on May 22 and May 23, 2017 to pick up an application. We had such a large turnout, we had no choice but to close down the application pick-up process, at the end of the day on May 23, 2017.
We will be accepting applications (those which were picked up May 22 and May 23, 2017), May 30, 2017 – June 16, 2017. NO APPLICATIONS will be accepted after June 16, 2017.
Applications MUST be complete in order for us to process; including necessary documentation.
DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR APPLICATION
Please attach any of the following documents that apply to you with your application.
For example, if you are not receiving social security income, you do not have to provide it.
- Government issued photo identification
- Social Security or Form I-551 Card
- If working, two months of pay stubs
Please provide the most recent two months paystubs. Do not skip any dates.
- Child Support: Bring court order and proof of payment for the last six months
- Alimony: Bring court order and proof of payment for the last six months
- Food Stamps Award letter or verification of income
- Social Security Income/Disability Award Letter
- If you have a bank account, bring last two month’s bank statements for all accounts.
Statements must have bank’s information on it. Be careful when printing statements from on-line source.
- Application Fee: $20.00 for single adult head of household or $37.50 for two adults
We accept money orders, cashier checks, and cash (exact change only)
All documents will be returned to you after your application has been processed. Please do not ask for copies with exception of identification. Once you have your application and needed documents completed please turn them in at the Habitat front office during regular business hours.
Habitat for Humanity of Madison County
400 Pratt Ave. NW
Huntsville, AL 35801
Monday through Friday 8:30am-4:30pm
Once your application has been processed, Habitat will contact you to review your application. If your application meets certain criteria you will be required to attend an applicant orientation class prior to your application receiving final approval.